Israel Is Now Bombing Lebanon, Assassinating One Of Hezbollah's Most Senior Commanders

This was Israel's third attempt to try to kill Tabatabai, despite the "ceasefire" since November 2024.

israel bomb lebanon assassinate hezbollah senior commander

Israel is now bombing too, assassinating one of Hezbollah’s most senior commanders despite the “ceasefire.”

Israel and Hezbollah had agreed to a ceasefire in November 2024, more than two months after Israel launched a full-scale war against Hezbollah on Sept. 19, 2024, following a year of cross-border clashes since Oct. 7, 2023.

However, Israel has repeatedly violated the “ceasefire,” attacking Lebanon, especially in southern Lebanon, multiple times.

On Sunday, Nov. 23, Israel struck a building in al-Arid Street in Lebanon’s capital Beirut, with two missiles, killing at least five people and injuring 28 others.

Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office said Netanyahu ordered the strike, claiming it was targeting Hezbollah’s chief of staff Haytham Ali Tabatabai.

This was Israel’s third attempt to try to kill Tabatabai, according to Al Jazeera.

Hezbollah later confirmed “the great commander” Tabatabai had been killed in “a treacherous Israeli attack on the Haret Hreik area in the southern suburbs of Beirut.”

After the ceasefire came into force in 2024, Tabtabai was appointed chief of staff and "worked extensively to restore their readiness for war with Israel," according to Reuters.

Hezbollah member of parliament Ali Ammar said that Israel has been striking all of Lebanon since the ceasefire agreement was brokered by the US about a year ago.

“Every attack on Lebanon is a crossing of a red line, and this aggression is inherent in the entity that targets Lebanon’s dignity, sovereignty, and the security of its citizens,” he said.

Earlier, on Nov. 18, Israel attacked a Palestinian refugee camp in southern Lebanon, killing at least 13 people, according to the Lebanese Ministry of Public Health.

Journalist close to Netanyahu’s coalition government Amit Segal said “a dramatic escalation against Hezbollah” was “more likely than not.”

More On Israel's War With Hezbollah

Israel Has Launched New Attacks On Southern Lebanon, Violating Its Ceasefire With Hezbollah Again
Israel and Hezbollah had agreed to a ceasefire in November 2024, but Israel has repeatedly violated the ceasefire since, attacking southern Lebanon multiple times.
Israel Bombed Parts Of Lebanon On The Second Day Of Its Temporary Truce With Hezbollah
After the airstrikes, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu warned of a possible escalation in the attacks.
2,750 People Have Been Injured And Eight Killed In Lebanon After Hundreds Pagers Exploded At The Same Time
Lebanon’s health minister said at least eight people were killed while another 2,750 people were injured, including 200 who are in critical condition.